BACKING UP THE OPERATING SYSTEM (SYSUSER) SOFTWARE ON TAPE
Technical Service Bulletin
SX-2000® INTEGRATED COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS
This Technical Service Bulletin is intended for Customer Service and Installation personnel involved in the service of the Mitel̉ SX-2000 ICS. This bulletin describes the process for making a tape backup copy of the operating system software.
It is recommended that the operating system software is backed up on tape to protect
against the loss of the system software due to failures of the hard disk unit and loss or
corruption of the master tape. The following procedure is described in the Installation
section of the SX-2000 documentation.
Copy the operating system software to tape
2.1 To copy the operating system software to tape use the following steps :
Note: The following procedure dismounts SYSUSER thus the plane must be reloaded at the end of the operation which means a loss of service on non-redundant systems.
- Insert a blank formatted tape into the cartridge tape unit and wait for tension test to complete. (make sure tab is in record position)
- Type VOL BACKUP SYSUSER ON TAPE from the inactive plane if system is redundant.
- When the operation is complete the systems responds with the following message;
FS info: END of backup
FS info: Backed up volume on device TAPE with name:
- Remove the cartridge tape from the tape drive and store separately from the master tape.
- Reload the plane.
The system responds with the following message:
FS info: Start of backup...
Restore the operating system software from tape
2.2 To restore the operating system software ( SYSUSER ) from tape use the following steps:
Note: Please refer to the software installation section for further information and for system responses to commands.
- Insert the backup tape into the cartridge tape unit and wait for tension test to complete.
- Reset plane from maintenance panel.
- Login to system when maintenance screen comes up.
- Enter the command VOL DISMOUNT SYSUSER
- Format the hard drive by entering the command:
VOL FORMAT DISK SYSUSER LOAD $2A00 REDUN $4C00 SCRATCH
Note :The $2A00 and $4C00 parameters are for M-stream (MS2006) only. Refer to the install section of your documentation for the parameters in other software releases.
- When formatting is complete enter the command: VOL RESTORE SYSUSER FROM TAPE
- When restore is complete REMOVE TAPE from cartridge tape unit and reset plane from the maintenance panel.
- Restore is now complete.