Reset the sys-admin password
To restore a lost or forgotten Meridian Mail system administration password, follow these steps.
Summary: Boot (startup) the Meridian Mail system from the install tape, and reset the password from the "More Utilities Menu"
- Turn on the tape drive, and insert the install tape. It will tension.
- When the tape rests, reset the Meridian Mail system, and boot from the tape.
- The "power on self tests" take about 4 mins, after which the tape should run.
- After another 5 or so mins, a 3 option menu will appear. Watch for TTY output.
If the tape doesn't start to run after about 5 mins, check the SCSI connections. The tape drive is set to SCSI ID 1, and uses the bottom connector - marked IN. The SCSI connectors must be firmly seated. A terminator is NOT needed (internal is set).
Be patient! It takes a long time to boot from tape!
After a sucessful boot from the installation tape, the installation menu will appear:
- From the menu, select More Utilities, and Change to Default System Password.
- Enter YES to continue. The system will respond that the operation has been successully completed.
- Remove the install tape, and
- Re-boot from the internal disk.
After the system has started up, at the MM Logon screen:
- Select the [Logon] softkey, and enter the default password: adminpwd.
- The system will immediately prompt you to change the password.
- Enter your new password, re-enter to verify, and
- WRITE IT DOWN!
Your new password has been set.