Miran Installation Procedure
To quickly install and configure the MIRAN III product, follow these steps.
Succession Media Card quick installation procedure
1 - Log in to the Meridian 1 system.
Program a DID route and configure a DID trunk on Succession Media Card unit 7.
Use the TN for the loop, shelf, and card slot into which the Succession Media Card is plugged.
For example, if the Succession Media Card was installed in 20 0 0, then provision 20 0 0 7 as the DID unit to allow local telephone access for the recording of RAN announcements.
2 - Program RAN and Music routes and trunks for the remaining
For example, program channel 0 as a Music trunk and channel 1 as a RAN trunk.
Note: MIRAN comes with royalty-free music pre-assigned to channel 0 and set to play always. Therefore, Nortel Networks recommends that channel 0 be configured as a Music route. However, this assignment can be removed and any other announcement or music file assigned in its place.
If using Meridian Release 23 and Succession CSE 1000 X21 Release 1, refer to the RAN Broadcast feature in Feature and Services (553-3001-306). For MIRAN III with Release 23 or later, and configured with RAN Broadcast, use Route Type MLVL (RTYP = MLVL in Overlay 16).
3 - Request an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway from the system administrator.
Note: This step is only necessary if MIRAN III is connecting to the LAN.
4 - Insert the security device onto the Succession Media Card. Install the security device with the Nortel Networks logo and eight-digit inscription facing away from the board.
Note: The security device can be correctly inserted in only one position.
5 - Connect the 50-pin female connector on the Succession Media Card Audio-adaptor to the I/O panel.
6 - Connect the RJ-45 connector to the LAN hub. Use an RJ-45 coupler and the additional RJ-45 cable, if necessary.
7 - Connect a VT-100 terminal to the MIRAN III 50-pin I/O Adaptor (Audio-adaptor) using a standard serial cable (NTAG81GA is available as an accessory from Nortel Networks).
8 - Alternatively, the NTAG81CA cable (also available as an accessory) can be used to connect a terminal to the 8-pin faceplate connector.
9 - Configure the terminal in VT-100 mode at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
10 - Insert the Succession Media Card into an unequipped card slot and watch the terminal screen for boot-up commands to appear. This requires approximately 90 seconds.
11 - At the logon screen of the Text-based User Interface, ensure that the cursor is in the User Name: field.
 - Log On - [Miran3] #### #### ## @@@@@@ @@@ @@@ @@ ]]]]  [[[[ ## ## ## ## ## @@ @@ @@ @@ @@@@ @@ ]]  [[ ## ### ## ## @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ ]]  [[ ## # ## ## @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@ @@@@ ]]  [[ ## ## ## @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@@ ]]  [[ ## ## ## @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ ]]]]  [[[[ Meridian Integrated RAN Application Version 3.0m (Rls 1) Copyright (c) Nortel Networks. 2001 Username : -> <-
Then, log on by doing the following:
- If the Media Card is being booted for the very first time, the cards will boot in BOOTP
mode. If a BOOTP server is not being used, the card will continue to search for a BOOTP
server on the network, thereby stalling the boot process.
At this point, users that are not using a BOOTP server should enter the key sequence +++ (plus symbols) in order to force booting to continue. Once booted, the user should change the IP method to either disabled or static. Once the IP method is changed to disabled or static, subsequent boots of the card do not look for a BOOTP server.
- If the Succession Media Card is booted and users are just starting the session or if an access denied message is received, press the Shift key and the tilde key (~) to refresh the screen.
- Type in the user name (admin), and press the down arrow.
- Type in the administrator default password (admin000), and press the down arrow again.
- Press <CR> at the Login prompt.
Note: If the logon is unsuccessful, an Access denied message appears. The logon procedure can be repeated up to three times. If an Access denied response appears for a third time, the Succession Media Card locks users out for 20 minutes.
CAUTION: Damage to Equipment
Before installing a Succession Media Card into a card slot, ensure that no cross-connect wires from Succession Media Card or another product remain attached to this slot. Cross-connect wires that carry a ringing voltage can damage the Succession Media Card.
12 - At the Main menu:
 - Main Menu - [Admin] 1 MIRAN Administration... 2 Pack Administration... 3 Maintenance & Diagnostics... 4 User Administration... 9 Log Off... Choose a Menu Option or 9 to Exit : Miran3>
- Select 2, Pack Administration.
- Select 2, Keycode Entry.
 - Pack Administration - [Admin] 1 File Commands... 2 Keycode Entry 3 Software Upgrade 4 System Information 5 Configuration Variables... 6 Ethernet Configuration 7 Time & Date... 9 Back to previous Menu... Choose a Menu Option or 9 to Exit : Miran3>
Note: The keycodes are on a label that accompanies the security device. Remove this keycode label and attach it to the Succession Media Card faceplate.
- Between the brackets, type in the 24-character keycode with a space between each set of eight characters.
- Select Execute to execute the keycode. Wait for a keycode validation response Keycode validated.
- Select Exit to return to the Pack Administration menu.
Note: If LAN access is not needed for MIRAN III, log out after entering the keycode.
13 - At the Pack Administration menu:
- Select 6, Ethernet Configuration.
- At the Ethernet Configuration screen, enter the new IP address, subnet mask, Gateway, and IP method of the Succession Media Card, obtained from the network administrator.
 - Ethernet Configuration - [Admin] Current Configuration IP Address : 192.168.10.11 Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 Gateway : 192.168.10.254 IP Method : static New Configuration IP Address : 192.168.10.11 Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 Gateway : 192.168.10.254 IP Method : static - Set - -> - Exit - <-
Note: The IP method can either be bootp or static. To disable the IP connection, but keep MIRAN III working, set the IP method to disabled. bootp is similar to Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
- Select Set to set the LAN configuration parameters.
- Select Exit to return to the Pack Administration screen.
- Log out of the Text-based User Interface by selecting 9 from the menu screen until the Main Menu screen appears.
14 - Reboot the SuccessionMedia Card by pressing the reset switch on
the front of the pack. This causes the keycode to take effect.
Wait for the card to reboot and the Login screen to come up on the maintenance terminal. This takes approximately 90 seconds.
15 - Use a local DTMF telephone to dial the DID access code for Succession Media Card unit 7.
Note: The local DTMF telephone must have an unrestricted Class of Service (CLS = UNR) in Overlay 11.
- At the voice prompt, press # (pound key) to establish the call.
- Enter the user name user=8737 followed by * (star symbol).
- At the next voice prompt, enter the password user0000 followed by * (star symbol).
- At the main menu, press 5 to access the Record menu.
- Press 5 again to begin recording a RAN announcement.
- When recording is done, press 3 to stop the recording.
- Press 1 to save the announcement.
Because MIRAN III writes the recording to memory, it can take 30 seconds or longer for MIRAN III to respond that it has saved the announcement.
16 - Log into the Text-based User Interface through the maintenance terminal as before. Or, if the MIRAN is connected to the LAN, the MIRAN Browser User Interface (BUI) can be accessed by pointing a web browser to the IP address of the Succession Media Card. To assign an announcement to a MIRAN III channel, do the following:
- At the Main Menu, select 1 MIRAN Administration....
- At the MIRAN Administration menu, select 1 Announcement Configuration....
- At the Announcement Configuration menu, select 1 Calendar Operations....
CAUTION - Loss of Data
After pressing 1 to save the announcement, do not hang up. Wait for MIRAN III to state that it has saved the announcement and tagged the announcement with an announcement identifier. For example: Announcement has been saved as announcement 1.
- At the Calendar Operationsmenu, select 1 Calendar Assignment with Descriptor.
- At the Calendar Assignment with Descriptor screen, first enter the channels (ports) on
which a particular announcement is to play.
For example, if the TN for a RAN trunk is 20 0 0 5, assign an announcement to channel 5.
- At the Filename: prompt, enter the filename of the announcement that must play on the selected channels. Browse the list of available announcements to select one.
- At the Descriptor prompt, enter the descriptor that defines when the selected announcement will play on the selected channels. Browse the list of available descriptors to select one. Descriptors can be defined if the pre-configured descriptors do not meet system needs.
- Move the cursor to Add to Calendar and press <CR> to create the calendar assignment with descriptor.
17 - To test RAN announcements, dial the trunk access code for the desired RAN route, and listen to the announcement that plays.
Note: With MIRAN III, all changes to MIRAN announcements and configuration are saved automatically.